Monday, June 23, 2008

Bitten by the Bargain Bug

My favorite thing to do when I go home for the weekend, besides drive around aimlessly because I love and miss driving, is go to Target. Greatest store ever. In fact, there is one in my area that is literally called Target: Greatland, as in the Land of Great. I don’t know why it is, but no matter how much money I earn, I still can’t resist a good day of bargain hunting. Of course I like nice things too, doesn’t everyone? Like the $90 Polo shirt I had to have because it has a big pony on it. My co-worker had it on the other day and I totally coveted. $90 for a shirt? Do you know how many stupid tank tops from Old Navy I could have for $90?? When you put it that way, it really does seem a little excessive. However the old adage happens to sometimes be true... You get what you pay for.

My dad reminded me of a fun little story that proves my point. Last year Sarah Jessica Parker came out with her own clothing line, Bitten. It is only sold at Steve and Barry’s. What is a Steve and Barry’s? Is that a store? Alas, it is and I located one in the Manhattan Mall. It is a cheap clothing bonanza. Everything in her line is less than $20. How is this possible you ask? I will tell you how, because it is crap.

I purchased a green bikini last summer. Wore it to the beach once and to my friend’s pool once. Washed it. When I went to wear it again... I saw that parts of it were now a lovely shade of blue. It changed color. It is either the coolest hyper-color bikini from the late 80’s, some kind of tye-dye do it yourself experiment, or a ginormous piece of crap. How can you sell a bathing suit that changes color in the sun or chlorine? That’s like selling an umbrella that disintegrates when it gets wet. Completely nonsensical. I want my $20 back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My broke ass loves their cheap t-shirts. A waitress in Brooklyn spilled some water on me once and apologized profusely, and I replied "This shirt cost 5 DOLLARS!!! How dare you! If Target doesn't have another one of these, expect a dry cleaning bill! Get me the mananger!"