Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Carbon copy convo

My friend Marisa and I were out the other night discussing the number of women in the city who were most likely having the exact same conversation we were having at that exact moment. It’s easy to think you’re the only one having a bad day, week, month, life... But apparently you are not alone. Someone probably as close as the table next to you is having a carbon copy convo. In fact, chances are she’s talking about the exact same guy! Ok well maybe not, but then again... Maybe. Stranger things have happened.

I didn’t truly believe this phenomenon to be true until I was on the bus the very next morning and the woman sitting behind me was on her cell phone. Now, I could only hear one side of the conversation and half the time she was speaking Spanish, but trust me it was pretty clear. All I heard were the phrases “I have wasted so much time”, “this is enough, enough already, enough already, enough already”, “he doesn’t see it that way”, and “so that’s the story”... And I was like yeppers, I know what you’re talkin bout sista. I sat there smiling, not at her misfortune but at the irony of the situation, thinking about how cool it would be if the next time I have that exact same conversation, I was able to speak half of it in another language! That is definitely one thing I can say I have never done before, bitched in half English/half Spanish... I need to get movin on that.

No comments: