Monday, July 28, 2008

The trial of the century—Results

After careful planning (using the scientific method), the Phase I munchkin preference clinical trial was run today by the R&D department, which consists of really, well, just me (and no I am not wearing safety goggles). The box of 50 randomized munchkins contained 10 samples of 5 varieties (presented in no specific order: chocolate glazed, glazed, jelly, cinnamon, powdered) and was placed strategically far enough away from my chair in order to monitor the trial, but not intimidate or influence the results. The trial commenced at 9:15 am. For full Study Design details, see “The Trial of the Century” post.

10:15 – Something alarming has happened. I am shocked that people seem to not like donuts anymore. Free donuts. What the hell is wrong with this world? Is the box invisible? Are people not eating them because I am sitting here? Maybe I should hide under my desk...

11:15 – The eating has begun. People are warming up to the donuts. Lots of powdered and cinnamon are being left on the top of the pile. Until one of my co-workers parks herself right next to the box and proceeds to eat 4 powdered holes. There’s always gotta be one subject skewing the results, I’ve taken note to keep my eye on her.

12:15 – 7 cinnamon, 1 powdered left. Couple of chocolate glazed and jelly, which is quite surprising. I’m not sure if this is an adequate sampling, we may need to run a Phase II trial. But I do still contend that the last ones in the box will be cinnamon or powdered.

2:15- 5 cinnamon, 1 powdered, 2 chocolate glazed are left. The unpopularity of cinnamon has been proven, with half remaining 5 hours into the study. Surprisingly chocolate glazed has seen an unprecedented decline in popularity.

3:15 – The chocolate glazed are gone. Leaving 5 cinnamon and 1 powdered.

The original hypothesis proves true. Experiments are fun... Especially when I’m right, and they involve donut hole treats.

Disclosures: Investigator consumed 1 chocolate glazed, 1 jelly and 2 glazed, but these consumptions were not deemed statistically relevant in determining the outcome of the trial.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im sorry, Im not really sure why there were still 2 chocolate glazed left at 2:15PM. What is wrong with your co-workers?? And who knew they made jelly ones!! Id leave those for last, I hate jelly!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to take care of those leftover cinnamon ones. Perhaps some data mining can take place once I'm done.

Unknown said...

I love Powdered- I would have screwed up your results. Cinnamon however, does indeed suck, beaten only by Plain in suckage.