Monday, November 29, 2004

1904

I just got this forward about the year 1904, a mere 100 years ago.

In 1904 the average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year. Excuse me? You could easily blow that in one night in NYC. One bottle of Asbolut for the table at Le Snooty Patooty... and you'd blow your whole year's salary!

In 1904 most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo. Holy bejesus! I dyed my hair dark reddish brown a few weeks ago, but I used stuff that says it will wash out in 28-30 shampoos... ya know, just in case I didn't like it. Well I did like it, a lot. So I tried to not wash my hair everyday so that I wouldn't have to see the pink water going down the drain and be sad. BUT by day two... I looked like a Puerto Rican and my brother was calling me Guadalupe Fernandez.

In 1904 the five leading causes of death in the US were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

... there was a time when you could die from diarrhea?? That is just mind boggling.

In 1904 Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." So not only could you die from diarrhea, but in fact Heroin seemed to be a likely cure. Is anyone else still trying to fathom this??

No comments: